Sunday, July 3, 2011

We have almost made contact?

I'm very confused lol. My decompensating bite has decided to stop opening more and start closing up. My bite opened a lot over the first two months in braces and now it has started to at least appear like its closing. I'm not exactly sure whats going on here. My teeth all look much straighter, I'm really happy with it.

A little update on my wisdom teeth
The holes have started to close very nicely. My right side is hardly a hole anymore and the left side is still noticeable but I'm not really losing food in them anymore which is a relief! I also notice that the jaw bone on the top seems to be receding where I had the top wisdom teeth pulled. All in all I'm starting to think that maybe these changes in my jaw bone from having the teeth out are causing my bite to sit differently. It's not bad though, at least it doesn't look as bad and my chin is less stressed than what it was.

I have a lot of messages I need to respond to regarding jaw surgery but its been a busy few weeks. I have a stats test tomorrow and my last stats assignment due soon on hypotheses testing and estimation. Its also been really nice in Toronto and we've been spending a lot of days driving out to the beach and enjoying the short lived summer we get here.

Tongue thrusting
Its improving, I have taken some tips from some great videos I've watched on Meghans blog and I notice that my tongue is slowly getting stronger and resting more naturally where it should. I also am much more aware of when I start thrusting and I stop myself. I usually notice the pressure I put on my teeth which I used to ignore.

Life with braces
I've gotten a lot of comments on my videos from people who are going to get braces asking what its like having braces in your 20's. At first I didn't really mind them, then I didn't really notice them. Now though, they are that horrible thing you don't notice is there until you want to  bite into a sandwich, or you catch yourself in some reflective object. They aren't horrible, but I don't feel like myself. Besides having a stupid open bite and a class III malocclusion, I've always had people comment on how much they like my smile, it was like that thing I had going for me I guess. I still smile just as much, except now I feel like a 12 year old and I don't get those comments anymore. I think a lot of people are hesitant to ask about braces, only a couple people I know have taken notice of them and asked about it, other than that I think a lot of people wonder but don't ask. I don't really care because I know its temporary and I really want to have jaw surgery so the braces will just have to work themselves into my look for the next year or so. Although I do miss being able to eat in public with no worries.

These are some pictures from Canada day, we went to Cobourg which is about an hour away from Toronto, off of Lake Ontario, they were having lots of Canada Days festivities.











8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tara,
    I think maybe what your noticing now is that your teeth are becoming more aligned and straight, so it appears that your bite is closing.. Not sure but I really noticed my bite opening up after 6-7 months. They kept putting thicker arch wires on which helped with my decompensating bite.

    P.S Your boyfriend is a total cutie :) you two look great together. I think you have really lovely white teeth and your smile is great! When your open bite is close, you will look and feel AMAZING!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tara!
    It's so neat to see your progress! I'm happy to hear that you're working hard not to tongue thrust and paying attention when you feel pressure on your teeth. It is super difficult not to thrust, I'm struggling every day. Now I'm trying to work on my cross bite as well. Sometimes I feel like I'm going backwards. I had to laugh when you commented on your boyfriend's perfect bite! I feel the same jealousy when I look at my husband's perfect bite. Reading your blog always makes me feel inspired to keep trying to stop thrusting, so thanks for sharing all of your successes and tribulations with us! Good luck, I know you can do it!!!
    Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a great holiday. I agree with Rihanna, you are going to be stunning when your bite is nice and closed. I cannot wait to watch your progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey ive been reading the stuff you post, and its been helpful so thanks:) im 15, and i have an open bite on only the sides of my mouth, because the middle/front part of my mouth is fine and the upper and lower parts touch. my open bite is only small however my dentist suggested that i should get braces, i don't think i really need them at this stage because i didn't really notice i had an open bite until my dentist told me just recently. I don't get extra headaches, neck pain, or anything at this stage, but is it possible that if i don't get braces to correct it then i might get more problems with it later on? my mum said she is fine with the cost of braces, however she thinks i don't need them. I actually want braces because i want to have perfect teeth as well as no open bite (which im sure you will have any time soon! :D), but my mum wont let me get them unless the orthodontist says that i really need them because its affecting me and its important. so yeah i know your probably not a dentist or anything, but you must be pretty experienced so yeah overall, do you think i should get braces to correct my open bite or not? thanks so much if you reply to this and good luck with correcting your open bite! i would also appreciate it if you could please send me a reply on xoloveyooh@live.com. thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Rhianna: thanks for that tip, I was wondering why I had to be in braces so long before surgery, that explains it if my bite is still going to change a lot. It really does feel like torture being told I'll be ready in half a year, ahhhh

    @ Meghan: Oh I feel more and more envious all the time of all these perfect bites surrounding me. I also hate that I can go out with my boyfriend and he can choose to eat whatever he wants without having trouble biting into a single thing :( Correcting the tongue trust is a huge chore but I feel like its getting easier as time goes by. Progress will come, slowly but surely.

    @ Tina: Thanks so much, I really wish my progress was a little faster, but some day It'll be my turn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh gosh I think I do that 'toungue thrusting' too!! I didn't know what it was so I googled it, and it came up with all these excercises. And it said you should have your toungue on the roof of your mouth when you say 's' and 'c'. Mines in between my top and bottom teeth! and then I tried to say them with my toungue on the roof of my mouth and I could only make a shhh sound:S

    ReplyDelete
  8. Costumes come in a huge selection. A beautiful fancy dress , as it is called, raise people's interest has always been through the many possible variations. Cheap carnival costume and their buying has never been so interesting and just like today, and people start to try more new unconventional costumes.

    ReplyDelete