Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Surgeon Appointment (33 days)

WOOOO

I got the okay to chew!

I saw my surgeon today and the appointment went really well. He changed up my elastics.
I totally don't understand his diagrams so I'm just going to keep putting my elastics on the way he did.
I only have to wear them for 18 hours a day which is awesome.
My bite is in a great position. My surgeon did say though that he wanted to change the elastics so I have some wiggle room. My ortho made my bite close really tight which is a little scary in the case I relapse. He wants a little more of an overjet.

Why can't I stop rambling? Here I'll use point form:

  • I'm allowed to chew soft foods
  • back in the box form elastics
  • going to continue doing lip exercises and face exercises to get motion back in my face
  • 15 minutes of jaw exercises a day (open and close without elastics)
  • 18 hours of elastic wear a day
  • Sleeping well




I can't wait to eat pizza. I'll have to give it a try on the weekend. 

On another note I've continued to lose weight. I'm under 100lbs now but I'm sure I'll gain it back as I continue to heal. 
My surgeon said that the areas where he cut the bone will have the most swelling remain. I notice that too where they did the cuts on both jaws theres a lot of swelling. 

I'll be seeing my orthodontist in about 2 weeks and I think my surgeon that same week before we head to Australia for the rest of the year. 

I'll be in Sydney Australia for the month of December and then back in Toronto in January and back at Uni. I'm really excited for life to go back to normal. 

Hope all my jaw surgery buddies are doing good. 
I'm so excited for you Katie, your surgery is so soon!!!
Hope everyone in recovery is doing well (Amanda, Nancy, Sarah, Tiffany, Zachary, Ellie, Danielle)
Sorry if I left anyone out, still a little out of it. It;s been amazing having so many people to relate to. 

Honestly for all you coming up to your surgery date, the surgery is tough. The recovery is a lot of work. There's infection and vomiting and all kinds of stuff to worry about but you get through the worst of it and it just gets so much better. 
Take your meds!! The first week at least take all the meds on a regular schedule. Take nausea medication because trust me, you do not want to be throwing up with your jaw stuck shut, and old blood doesn't taste good. Grind up gravol and take it with water in a syringe. Stop the nausea before it starts. Enjoy the pain meds and take something to help you sleep if you need to. 


4 comments:

  1. Wow, your swelling since your last post has gone WAY down! You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Amanda! You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your recovery, you're doing pretty well On a side note: how do you feel your upper gum? Any weird scar or tightness or normal? I ask you this because last year I had my SARPE (Next year I will undergo the same surgery as you) and my right upper gum (indeed, the tissue between upper gum and upper lip) is a bit tight. I don't know if this is something normal. OK. I wish your recovery continues by the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi who is you surgeon and orthodontist.

    ReplyDelete