Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Post op timelines

Hey readers,

I'm sorry I haven't been actively posting.
I just wanted to update on what my post op has been like.

I had my double jaw surgery and genioplasty on October 5th 2012.
The first week was horrible, I was in a lot of pain and had a really hard time keeping liquids down. I threw up a lot and wasn't sleeping until I got prescribed a sedative.

Week two I developed an infection in the left cheek and this area continued to swell.
My surgeon opened the incision to allow draining and put me on antibiotics.
The infection cleared and I went on with recovery.

The area continued to bother me on and off over month one and two.
I was on a liquid and no chew diet for a pretty long time. I started taking in real food around the two month mark. Just in time to go away to Australia.
While away my cheek continued to bother me and my incision continued to drain, slightly.
I emailed my surgeon but tried to keep it under control.

I got home on NYE and during the early morning of Jan 1st I woke up with a very sore and swollen face. I got up to check it out and noticed that my incision was draining a decent amount. I decided I should call the surgeon emergency line right away. I had an antibiotic prescribed and I started taking it for a week. I saw an alternate surgeon on the 2nd who advised me that my surgeon believes he needs to surgically fix the issue and resolve whatever is causing the ongoing infection.

I finished my antibiotic yesterday and I already notice the area getting worse again.
My surgeon booked me in for oral surgery next Wednesday morning.
He believe there is bone fragment in the sinus cavity and my body is reacting to it.

I can't wait to have this fixed! My sinus is so sore and I have this constant flow of infection dripping down the back of my throat. It tastes awful :(

This sinus fluid has been the worst part. I can't wait for it to clear up.



4 comments:

  1. I really hope the surgery fixes the infection once and for good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you have any cheek grafting done? Your cheeks look so much fuller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, my cheek do look a lot fuller though, i think its just a result of them moving theupper jaw forward.

      Delete
  3. Hi Terra, I've just been catching up on your blog and am so sorry to hear that you've been having infection issues. Really hope the surgery fixes this for you and you start to feel better soon x

    ReplyDelete